Thursday, February 20, 2014

First week social connections...

Our first Friday night we decided to go to the community's social.  It is every Friday from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the Club House.  Everyone brings an appetizer to share and something to drink.  The assortment was pretty incredible, and we had a chance to meet some people.  We have gone one other time as well, and I have volunteered to help with decorating for Mardi Gras and St. Patrick's Day.  I'll be on my way to CT on Valentine's Day, so we'll miss that party.
The first Sunday, we attended the new members' reception for VBPS (the Vero Beach Power Squadron.  It was held at Toby and Jo Ann's house, which is in a beautiful community about 8 miles south of us.  We expected there would be people, but it was absolutely packed, with both old and new members and all of the Executive Committee, etc.  Everyone who leads an activity was wearing a sign with the activity's name.  I will probably join the book club for the March meeting.  Somehow my name got on the list for bird watching, but I'm going to pass on that!!  The most interesting sign for me was "Ask me about Oyster Mats."  So we did, and Toby Jarman gave us the whole story.  I decided that I really wanted to participate in this activity, and I'll describe it further in a separate blog.  Kathy Thomas told me about the Yoga class each Tuesday and Thursday at the Vero Beach Yacht Club, and Chris Paragallo (an owner here at Coral Stone) and I began to attend those sessions.  The first day after yoga class, Kathy took us over to see the actual VBPS Club House, which is near the Yacht Club and sits right on the Indian River (Lagoon) at the Route 60 Bridge.

They are so lucky to have an actual club house where they can offer classes, hold social events, etc.  Plus the weather is so nice here year round that they have raft outs, lunch cruises, etc. every month.  No wonder they have over 400 members!  And so many are really active!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment