Wednesday, February 26, 2014

It's a small world!

We have been discovering that there are lots of people that we know who live in Florida, even in the vicinity of Vero Beach.  Of course there are Suzie Perot and Charlie Muir.  We were invited to dinner at their home in Sea Forest last Tuesday.  It was great to catch up with them--it had been quite a while that we had seen them both.
I have been in touch with Ricki (Erica Ivers when I first knew her, now Ricki López Chaar).  Hers is a great story.  I first met Ricki at Horace Mann School, where we were both first year teachers in 1970.  I was part time that year, as I was still a full time student at Columbia University and living in Johnson Hall, the graduate women's dormitory on 116th Street between Amsterdam and Morningside Park.  When I decided to teach full time (my NDFL fellowship had ended and I needed more funds to continue working on my PhD.), Ricki and I decided to rent an apartment, and with two others, we ended up in a great place on W. 86th street.  Anyway, after three years, Ricki decided to return to the Boston area, but we kept i touch.  Her mother invited her to go on a vacation to PR and while walking on the beach, she was picked up by a guy who claimed to be the mayor of Dorado.  He picked her up that evening in his limousine--yes, he was the mayor--and that was the beginning of their relationship.  By 1976, Alfonsi (Papiño) had asked Ricki to marry him.  She was still worried about all of the implications of moving to a new culture, family expectations, learning a new language, etc.  She wanted to try it out for a summer before committing, and they decided that she would wear a wedding band for that summer, so people (especially her mother-in-law) would accept her.  I got to visit them for a week in Dorado, along with her friend, Meg.  We were treated royally!  Papiño took us to visit many parts of the island--the Cerromar resort, el Yunque, Ay Bonito, Ponce, Loquillo Beach, etc.  We even got to ride in an ambulance, with the siren on, since it was the only way to get out of a huge traffic jam!  Meg and I took Ricki to Tortola to celebrate her birthday.  Anyway, Ricki returned to Boston to teach one more year and then decided that yes, she and Papiño would get married, and they did so the following July 3.  They have been togethere for more than 37 years!!  Ricki and Papiño also own an apartment near West Palm, close to her mother's current residence, so, once I told her that I was retiring and spending the winter in FL, we planned to meet.  Last Saturday (3/1), Ricki and Papiño drove up to Vero and we had a great visit.  We had lunch at the Vero Beach Hotel and Spa that is right on Ocean Drive and the beach.  We sat on the patio overlooking the beach.  Lunch was good, and the company even better.  We even stopped for an ice cream at the Boardwalk Cafe on the beach.

Ricki and I, Coral Stone 



Lunch at the Cobalt

Sieg, Maryanne, Papiño, Ricki



When I mentioned to Eric that I flew out of Melbourne, FL, to go to celebrate Nana's 95th birthday, he remembered that that is where Charles Parson's parents live.  We are hoping to see them once they return from the UK.
I was trying to locate Gabriella (Gabi) Ossimanti Sheehan, a friend from my high school days.  I lost her e-mail (we had been in contact two years ago when the 50th reunion was about to take place), but I had no luck, so I googled her and lo and behold!--they live in Palm Bay which is even closer than Melbourne.  We chatted the other day, and she has invited us to come to a family dinner one of the next Sunday's.  She has four children and numerous grandchildren, and would like us to meet them.  Her husband, Dan is just in the process of retiring from the U.S. Postal Service.  (more to follow in another blog!)

3 comments:

  1. I grew up as with Ricki, but lost touch with the family after her brother's untimely death. I was also friendly with Roger and Linda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving me your comment. I'm hoping to see Ricki and Papiño in February or March when we are all in FL. Ricki's mom now lives in the Palm Beach area, so they also purchased an apartment there.

      Delete
  2. Well I remeber the great couple in 1985. I was invited to soing in Dorado with the gret pianist Jose Daniel MArtinez and Ana MAria Rosado, also a local harpist and anthroplogist from Dorado. My name is KArmen Zayas and a soprano from Puerto Rico.Once again thank you for the great opportunity I had to sing in Dorado Puerto Rico back then.

    ReplyDelete